WHAT I BELIEVE ABOUT THE SCRIPTURES (Part One)

I have been asked, “What do you believe about the Scriptures, the Word of God?” This is a
pretty simple question, but the answer is multifaceted--to answer it fully requires more than just
one answer. Here is the best I can do with the question:
1. I believe God’s Word is inspired--God breathed (2 Tim. 3:16-17). “All scripture is given
by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in
righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”
2. I believe God’s Word is accurate--down to the very last jot or tittle (Matt. 5:17-18). “Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise
pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished.” A jot or tittle is similar to the dotting of
the “i” or crossing of the “t” in English.
3. I believe God’s Word is truth. Long ago Pilate asked Jesus “What is truth?” (John 18:38). We are not left in the dark as to what truth is. The answer to Pilate’s question is found in John
17: 17 when Jesus prayed, “Sanctify them in the truth: thy word is truth.”
4. I believe God’s Word bear witness of Jesus (John 5:39). “Ye search the scriptures, because
ye think that in them ye have eternal life; and these are they which bear witness of me;”
5. I believe God’s Word is able to build us up (Acts 20:32). “And now I commend you to God,
and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you the inheritance
among all them that are sanctified.” God’s Word will build us up when we read, study it, obey it
and continue to live by it.
6. I believe God’s Word is understandable (Eph. 3:1-4). “For this cause I Paul, the prisoner
of Christ Jesus in behalf of you Gentiles,--if so be that ye have heard of the dispensation of that
grace of God which was given me to you-ward; how that by revelation was made known unto me
the mystery, as I wrote before in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye can perceive my
understanding in the mystery of Christ;” Did you catch that? Paul said when we read what he
wrote, we can perceive his understanding. It does require serious study, but God’s Word can be
understood!
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Suspicion is like a pair of dark glasses--it makes all the world look
dark.

Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts