COMPASSION AND SYMPATHY

I once read about a group of children that were crying on a street corner. A man came by and
asked them what was the matter. One little boy tearfully replied, “We have a pain in Billy’s
stomach!” What a beautiful way of stating children’s ability to be compassionate. Wherever there
is sorrow and suffering in this world, wherever there is spiritual darkness and despair, God’s
people must extend arms of compassion and sympathy.
It was a sympathizing Jesus who said, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in
heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matt.
11:28-30). He also said, “All that which the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that
cometh to me I will in no wise cast out” (John 6:37). When one member of the body of Christ suffers, all feel the pain. Paul wrote that we “should
have the same care one for another” (1 Cor. 12:25). To be casual or lukewarm in our care for
others, in particular to fellow Christians, is to be casual and lukewarm in our devotion to the
Lord (Matt. 25:40). How far does the circle of your concern extend? To just you and your family? To a few
more? Should you perhaps redraw the line and include all for whom Christ died? Hebrews 2:9
says “...that by the grace of God he should taste of death for every man.” Should we not care for
and be concerned about the well-being of every fellow man?
To the world the most appealing quality of Jesus is His care and compassion for others. This
characteristic makes the Lord loom large even in the eyes of non-Christians. This same quality,
prominently featured in the lives of the Lord’s people will open many hearts to the truth.
God cared enough that He gave His only begotten Son (John 3:16)l. Jesus cared enough that
He willingly gave His life on the cross for our sins (Matt. 26:39; 1 Pet. 2:24). Early Christians
cared enough to share their worldly goods with brethren in need (Acts 2:44-45; 4:32). Say, dear
reader, do you care?
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: There must be a lot of good in some people because very little of it
ever comes out!

Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts