ON COMPARING OURSELVES WITH OTHERS

Have you ever noticed that usually when we compare ourselves with others, we are content to compare
ourselves with those who are weaker--not those who are stronger? Especially is this true in the spiritual
realm. “I attend worship services more than he does.” “I pray more than she does.” “I read my Bible more
than they do.” Apparently we feel better when comparing ourselves with those who are weaker. But how
about comparing ourselves with those who are stronger? How about comparing ourselves with the apostle
Paul or with James or with the apostle John? We don’t come out looking so good, then, do we? Spend a few
minutes comparing the following:
1. “Maybe we better not go to worship this morning--it looks like it might rain” versus “Thrice was I beaten
with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day have I been in the deep” (2 Cor.
11:25). 2. “I don’t think I’ll go to worship this morning--I kinda have a headache” versus “And they stoned Stephen,
calling upon the Lord, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit” (Acts 7:59). 3. “I’ve been to services twice this week--I don’t think it’s necessary to go every time” versus “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye
know that your labor is not vain in the Lord” (1 Cor. 15:58). 4. “I guess I’ll have to start going to worship sometime--a person really should, I suppose” versus “For God
so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whose believeth in him should not perish, but
have everlasting life” (John 3:16). 5. “I get so tired--everytime I turn around, somebody is saying I ought to give, give, give.” versus “For ye
know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for you sakes he became poor, that ye
through his poverty might become rich” (2 Cor. 8:9). 6. Sunday: “Missed services because: company came--slight cold--overslept--no new clothes--touch of a
headache--car wouldn’t start--or a hundred other like flimsy excuses.” Monday: “On the job at 8:00 a.m. in
spite of any or all of the above excuses.
7. Questions: 1) Do the above comparisons suggest anything to you? 2) Do the implications fit anyone you
know? 3) Where were you last Sunday? Wednesday night? The Lord knows and is keeping a record. The
final examination (judgment) is coming!
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: Happiness is a place somewhere between too much and too little. Have a great week!
Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts