CARRYING THE CROSS OR ROLLING IT?

don’t subscribe to it. I didn’t ask for it. But addressed to me came a religious newsletter telling of

the concerns of a large denomination. As I thumbed through the pages, a certain picture caught my at-
tention--it showed a group of people walking down a road with cars following them. The fellow in

front of the crowd was shouldering a wooden cross which looked to be about 8 or 9 feet in length. The
article that accompanied the picture said that the purpose of this walk was to remind the people that the
way of Jesus was not one of red carpet and luxury, but of the cross. Looking back at the picture, I saw
something just barely visible among the legs and feet of the walking crowd. I looked again. There was

no mistaking it. There at the bottom of that impressive 8 or 9 feet cross--being carried to teach this im-
portant lesson--were wheels! That cross was not being carried! It was being rolled!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how often this happens. Too many who claim to be
Christians have been “rolling the cross.” Even worse, I know I’ve been guilty of doing it, too. There
have been times when I wasn’t keen on making the hard decisions or making the hard sacrifice. But
don’t most of us like it that way? If there has to be a cross, if there has to be a sacrifice of some kind,
let’s not make it too hard. Let’s find some way to make it more palatable, more attractive, less difficult.
Jesus said, “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple”
(Luke 14:27). In Matthew 16:24 we read these words: “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man

will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” I don’t think that in ei-
ther of those passages that Jesus meant for our cross to have wheels. At the same time, if you could

examine the cross that Jesus bore at least part way to Calvary, I am quite certain you wouldn’t find any
wheels at all!
Now, dear reader, here is a revolutionary idea...earth shattering: Let us commit ourselves today--in
our hearts and actions--to the God of the Bible. Let us determine that we will give ourselves to the
whole task of becoming and living and growing and serving as Christians! We need to carry the cross.
We need to know and understand that the cross Jesus speaks of in Luke 14:27 is not to be rolled. THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: There is no degree of honesty--either you are or you aren’t!
Have a great week!

Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts