JESUS' PRAYER FOR UNITY

Jesus prayed for unity in John 17:20-21, “Neither for these only do I pray, but for them also
that believe on me through their word; that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me,
and I in thee, that they also may be in us: that the world may believe that thou didst send me.” This was just hours before Jesus died on the cross. Don’t you believe that unity was important to
Him? Sadly, many today teach and preach and pray, thanking God for “all the different
churches.” Apparently, the unity of believers is not as important for such folks as it was to Jesus.
Jesus also said, “And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build
my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18). Did you notice
that Jesus used the singular (church), not the plural (churches)? Consider also what Paul wrote:
“There is one body, and one Spirit, even as also ye were called in one hope of your calling”
(Eph. 4:4). In using the term “body,” Paul refers to the church: “And he is the head of the body,
the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the
preeminence” (Col. 1:18). Paul, by inspiration, says that there is only one body, one church.
I know that some try to use John 15:1-7 to defend their various denominations, but they are
misusing this passage. Their claim is that the branches Jesus speaks of are denominations. Not
so!--look at the passage carefully. Jesus speaks of the branches as individual men: “I am the vine,
ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart
from me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is
withered; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned” (verses 5-6). Paul shows us the way to unity: “Now I beseech you, brethren, through the name of our Lord
Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you; but that
ye be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment” (1 Cor. 1:10). In order to
achieve this unity, preachers must “preach the word; be urgent in season, out of season; reprove,
rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching” (2 Tim. 4:2). Are all preachers willing to do that? I don’t know. I promise to do my part.
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: When the conscience is asleep, there is no alarm clock.

Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts