SETTING GOALS AND THINKING FOR YOURSELF

I don’t think anyone who sets a goal in life has the goal of being a failure. But it happens just the same. We

know that there are bums, tramps, homeless people in nearly every place. How did they get that way? We pro-
bably will never know the real reasons. Those in that sad condition--no job, no money, no home, no food, no

shelter, no adequate clothing, no shoes--many times don’t know how they ended up that way.

I once read about two homeless men who were sitting on a park bench, discussing what had made them fail-
ures. “I am a failure,” the first man said sadly, “because I didn’t take anyone’s advice--I knew better than anyone

else what I needed to do all the time--in every situation--or so I thought.” “And I am a failure,” said the second

man, “because I took everyone’s advice--I always did what other people told me to do in every situa-
tion--whether they knew what they were talking about or not.”

So there you have it: two men who are polar opposites. One not taking anyone’s advice, the second taking
everyone’s advice--and they both ended up the same way: homeless bums, tramps, complete failures in life.
These two men represent two extremes. Among the greatest mistakes one can make are these: 1) To never listen
to anyone, and 2) To accept what others say, without investigation, and failing to think for oneself.
In religious matters, it is true that God expects us to listen. Romans 10:17 says, “So then faith cometh by
hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” At the same time God expects us to think for ourselves. We should
be ready as Peter says, “...to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in
you, yet with meekness and fear” (1 Pet. 3:15). And our answer better be better than “My preacher says...” or
“My Momma says...” Think for yourself! Learn to give your answer from God’s Word!
The Bereans were commended after Paul preached to them because “...they received the word with all
readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily whether those things were so” (Acts 17:11). In other
words, they “checked up” on the apostle Paul! Do I mind you checking up on my preaching, or what I teach in
Bible class? Certainly not! I encourage you to do such checking up on me or any other preacher! The message
from Acts 17:11 is obvious. Don’t accept anything religiously just because someone says it is so, but check for
yourself whether or not it is “true to the book.” If it is, then do it. But if it is not, keep your distance from it. No
matter who has told you such!
THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: The squeaky wheel does not always get greased--sometimes it gets
replaced!
Have a great week!

Love ya,
Jesse

Comments

Popular Posts